Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Mo's Meat Sauce





I started the new year off by finally getting back on track with Weight Watchers.  Somehow I miraculously manged to maintain my 15 lb weight loss over the holiday season, but fell short of my goal of losing 10 additional pounds by Christmas.  But, this is a new year and a new start and new my goal is to lose 10 lbs by February 15th which is my return to work date.  I'll set a new goal after that.   So, I was great all day Sunday and when I asked Ron what he wanted for dinner he asked me to make my meat sauce.  I was skeptical at first as I didn't want it to derail my diet, but I decided to make it and figure out the points and I was pleasantly surprised.   It's also a great way to get extra veggie's into your loved ones.  Keep in mind that I did not create this recipe.  I actually found it on the back of a box on Ronzoni, but it's delicious and only 11 ppv!

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup EACH finely chopped carrot, celery and onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 lb. extra lean ground beef
3-1/2 cups (28-oz. can) crushed tomatoes in puree
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 box of pasta ( used Cavatappi), uncooked
Grated Parmesan cheese * will add extra points

Directions

In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil; add carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes or until tender; add ground beef. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Add tomato, oregano and salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Toss hot pasta and sauce; sprinkle with cheese. 6 servings (11 ppv each)

1 comment: